Care and Storage Of Cork Yoga Products
Cork Yoga Product Care
- Always use your cork yoga mat and blocks with clean feet and hands. Do not wear shoes.
- Cork by its own nature is self cleaning. Cork is naturally antimicrobial, it contains compounds called Phenolics which kills bacteria and fungus. This keeps your mat clean and free from smelly perspiration and body sweat odours.
- Cork naturally repels odours and emits a very subtle woody fragrance. It doesn't absorb anything, cork wicks away rather than absorbing so air drying is perfect. This makes cork a great choice for all types of yoga including hot!
- As an all-natural product, it's normal for cork to change colour over time. Do not be concerned if your product changes in colour with use.
- The cork yoga products are made from tiny bits of compressed cork pieces bonded to a rubber base. This makes the cork yoga mats easy to roll up, and super flexible even on uneven ground.
- Before first use you may want to wipe your yoga mat or yoga block with a damp towel to remove any floating colour.
- Recommendation to clean the cork surface monthly (or after a very heavy session) with a soft damp cloth and a mixture of mildly warm water and a squeeze of lemon to remove the build up of your body’s oils, which can decrease grip over time. No harsh chemicals to be used.
- Hand wash only. Be Careful not to damage your mat by scrubbing it hard with an abrasive sponge. Ensure product dries thoroughly before use.
- Avoid lotions and oils on your skin before practicing.
- Cork is hard-wearing and non-sticky surface containing Suberin (a waxy grubby substance) that becomes grippier the wetter it gets, so the sweatier the better! Sweat and moisture activate the grip on cork.
- However, if you don’t sweat much, spray water on your mat where your hands and feet go before practice for added traction. Do not oversaturate.
- In downward dog (common pose to slide/slip in) - remember to ground down through your palms and pads of finger tips, adjust your shoulders to take some of the weight out of your hands and move from core, strength, stability and intention.
Cork Yoga Product Storage
- Avoid folding or creasing your yoga mat. Roll it with the cork side facing outwards, so that cork is on the outside and the rubber surface is on the inside of the mat.
- Store your cork yoga mats and cork yoga bricks in a cool and dry place when not in use.